Thursday, June 23, 2005

Michelle and Dave's wedding banquet

The purpose of our Hong Kong trip was to attend Michelle and Dave's wedding banquet. We were unfortunately not able to attend their wedding in California for a variety of (fairly obvious) reasons. The reception began at 6 pm, with drinks, chatting, photographs, and, last but not least, mahjong:

Mahjong players

Here's a picture of Gina with two (!!) glasses of champagne:

Gina with TWO glasses of champagne

And here's me in my new suit (which almost anybody can immediately identify as a mainland Chinese suit because of the way the crease on the pants goes all the way up to the waist):

Me

See how I drink more moderately than Gina (only one champagne glass).

There were well over 300 guests at the banquet, including MANY members of he Tung clan, some of whom are pictured here:

The Tung clan

...and numerous Nigerian VIPs, including His Excellency Otunba Gbenga Daniel (special envoy from the "Nigerian president and head of the armed forces"), Ambassador Jonathan Coker (Nigerian ambassador to the PRC), and several important tribal chiefs:

Nigerian VIPs

Here we are with the bride & groom:

with Michelle and Dave

The eating part of the banquet began at 8 pm in a large banquet hall. Gina & I were among the very first to sit down; I was slightly uncomfortable when the bride & groom arrived and I realized that I had sat down directly next to the groom...I don't think I deserved the honor, but I couldn't exactly jump out of my seat and go sit somewhere else.

Here are a few more shots of the wedding (including the tea ceremony and the cake eating):

Tea ceremony

Eating the cake

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home